Reviews

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Book Review | "The Second Lives of Honest Men" by John R. Cameron

This week's review is also coming a day late due to a busy schedule, but it's here! My review over "The Second Lives of Honest Men."!
As you guys probably know by now, I'll start this off by giving you the Goodread's description:

The Second Lives of Honest MenOn the evening of April 14th, 1865, a flawless duplicate replaced the 16th President an instant prior to his assassination. Two centuries later, Honest Abe opened his eyes to a world in desperate need of guidance.
THE SECOND LIVES OF HONEST MEN is a prescient vision of where society's dependence on technology could be taking us. It's a character driven story about love, redemption, and hope, with deep philosophical underpinnings related to how we think, feel, and reason in a world where it's ironically easy to feel disconnected.


I was sent an e-pub copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review. There is also currently a giveaway posted on Goodreads for a paperback copy that ends March 25.

This book is a dystopian, character driven plot that aims to look at the future of social media and what our constant reliance on technology could do to humanity in the future. 
Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure how I would feel about the book going into it, but I'm glad I read it! Sure, there were a few details that I had problems with: Jacob is in arguably too excellent of health considering his age, the antagonists' personalities are all over the place- bordering on bipolar at times. The points of view could sometimes switch in a way that- with the epub at least- it was sometimes difficult to keep up, making the story seem chaotic for a bit. The timelines were a little off- Jacob and Bryce speak as if they've known each other longer than they have...as well as Bryce and Julia for that matter. While Briana- while completely dependent on tech. seemed a little overdone in her mental underdevelopment. Finally, Abraham seemed to take the shocking news of his new life very well- perhaps too well considering what a change it was.
All of those things were minor details that I noted kept the book from being perfect, but I think the author did a good job regardless of those little things- that I picked up on because I was reading the book with a critic's eye. Unlike some other books, the plot kept me intrigued enough that those little issues didn't bother me at all. The characters as well, I had some problems with them, but I still cared about them
I think the book gives a lot of insight into a very possible potential future by taking some elements of the past to compare the two almost extremes. 
I gave the book three stars on Goodreads, but I think it deserves a 3.5. What kept it from being four stars was purely the fact that I was so interested, and the world was so vast that I would have loved for the book to be longer! To see a little more development in how the world came to be the way it was in the story, to see the characters together more....I think the book easily could have been at least fifty pages longer without dragging on. I think out of everything, that is my main critique: I wished there had been more!
I definitely recommend the book and will be interested to see what other stories the author comes up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment