Reviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review | "Seriously...I'm Kidding" by Ellen DeGeneres

This week's review is over another audiobook by yet another extremely talented and funny woman, Ellen DeGeneres! I've been a fan of hers for years and finally got the chance to listen to her latest book (my first experience with her published work).
I don't have much to say in this review, so I'll just get right into it, but first, the book's Goodreads description:

11276785
I've experienced a whole lot the last few years and I have a lot to share. So I hope that you'll take a moment to sit back, relax and enjoy the words I've put together for you in this book. I think you'll find I've left no stone unturned, no door unopened, no window unbroken, no rug unvacuumed, no ivories untickled. What I'm saying is, let us begin, shall we?

I'd like to say I loved this book, and had I listened to it before "Bossypants" I might have, but since that wasn't the order in which I experienced the audiobooks, that's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the book, it was a quick listen that can easily be finished in around one sitting, but I didn't find myself adoring it and laughing out loud in response to what I was listening to. 
If you're looking for a memoir, this isn't it. It's a collection of anecdotes and a few personal feel good stories, but for the most part, it's kind of like a light hearted advice book. Sadly in formatting the book to be made up of stories, it felt scatterbrained at times and didn't really resonate with me too much. I find myself struggling to remember what was in the book rather than other monologues of hers from her shows (both her talk show and her past comedy specials) or hosting appearances. 
If you're a fan of Ellen, you'll like the book, but I recommend listening to it. I think if you read the physical book, it will lose some of its charm, Ellen's voice really brings the book alive and makes it feel like a podcast. 
If you're not a huge Ellen fan however, then you can pass on it, there isn't anything so spectacular in this book that it's a necessary read.

No comments:

Post a Comment