Reviews

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Review | "Taming His Viking Woman" by Michelle Styles

This week's review is over another genre I don't review too often: Harlequin romance.
I have reviewed romance novels before, but Harlequin is one of the originals- rather than a series with complex plots, these books tend to wrap up during the course of one story without continuations. I'll admit, I was a little nervous going into this book, I knew it wouldn't be the fun, gritty world of Sector Four, and I tend to get a little tired of romance if there isn't a good plot line pushing the story along.
Sadly, I wasn't pleasantly surprised by this book. I admit, I wouldn't have picked it up myself, but I won it in a Goodreads giveaway. Before I get too far into my review, here's the book's description:

Taming His Viking Woman
The sea-king's warrior bride… 

Legendary shield maiden Sayrid Avildottar will marry no man unless he first defeats her in combat. And in powerful sea-king Hrolf Eymundsson she has finally met her match. 

Hrolf may have won her lands—and her body—but can Sayrid welcome a stranger to her bed? The world of fighting is all she knows! With a husband intent on seducing his new bride, perhaps, just this once, Sayrid will discover that surrender can bring the greatest pleasure of all… 


Okay, so a lot of my problems with this book are problems I notice a lot with indie books or books that are written in a short period of time. 
Technical things, like phrase wording being out of order and redundance.
Plot related things, such as bad dialogue that doesn't fit the characters or their time period, a forced love-hate relationship between two annoying protagonists, and writing that felt to me like it was trying too hard and had me skimming a lot throughout the story. 
The plot wasn't that original, which is only a fault when the unoriginal aspects aren't woven in a new, exciting sort of way or if someone is tired of the same tropes being used over and over within a genre. 

Did I like this book? Not particularly, but Harlequin romances have a very specific demographic. People outside of that mold can pass on this because you probably won't like it, people within it, give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment