Reviews

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Review | "Cats, Scarves and Liars" by Kathryn White

My review this week is over a book that I won on Goodreads, published earlier this year.
My quick thoughts were: I liked it, it was quirky, but it definitely wasn't perfect.
Here's the Goodreads description:

Cats, Scarves and Liars Meet Peppa Grove.

Peppa is just your average Australian young woman, really. 23 years old, widowed and owner of a cat who can speak perfect English. (But no one will believe her about the cat.) Why is she being stalked by one of the customers from her job at the City South Post Office? What secrets does the mysterious Ivory Black know about Peppa and her past? What does he know about the strange murders that are happening all over Adelaide? And was it really necessary of him to steal her boyfriend's scarf?

Cats, Scarves and Liars is a quirky, offbeat tail tale from a unique Australian writer. You'll laugh, you'll cry you'll discover the meaning of life. (Actually, we lied about that last part.)



So as the cover states, this is meant to be an offbeat thriller, and it is!
Peppa is quirky, though a little immature and simple minded at times. The storyline is zany and out there, similar to "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (perhaps a controversial opinion) but in an obviously different genre.  It was a quick read, and I'm glad I got the chance to check it out.
That being said, I had three issues that I find worth bringing up here. 
There were a decent amount of typos. Most being spelling and word order. That's a line edit, and it doesn't take away from the story, but it is noticeable. 
The storyline gets pretty predictable rather quickly. I was barely into the story when I guessed how things would play out, which were more or less correct. 
The book description gives away some major plot developments that don't pop up until much later in the book (which is only around 180 pages long to begin with).

Over all though, I liked it. It wasn't exactly a thriller in my opinion, but then again, I don't know if it was supposed to be. It's a light book that's quick to get through. It's quirky enough that you can almost entirely look past some of the character faults (a few characters seem borderline deranged). 
Looking at the book's prices, I would recommend reading it in ebook format, especially if you just want to try it out, but it's available in print both on amazon and the book depository if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment